GOOGLE POSITION: 162
where to start with my seo?
first things first, some research, so it’s off to google itself…
Google recently (13th november 2008) published an seo starter guide pdf via its webmaster area.
Inside it details a dozen or so common areas that webmasters might consider optimizing, including improving title and description meta tags, URL structure, site navigation, content creation, anchor text, and so on.
In summary it suggests that I:
• focus on what’s best for the visitors to my website
• use unique, accurate page titles across my website
• make good use of the description meta tags
• use “friendlier” page URLs
• make my site easy to navigate
• offer quality content and services
• write better anchor text
• use heading tags appropriately
• optimize my use of images
• make effective use of robots.txt
• be aware of rel="nofollow" for links
• promote my website in the right ways
• make use of google's free webmaster tools
• take advantage of web analytics services
This list seems as good a place to start as any, so watch this space!